Paper VI - Industrial and Organisational Psychology
Theory 80 marks; Project - 20 mark
1) To impart knowledge and understanding of the basic concepts in and various facets of Industrial and Organizational Psychology.
2) To create awareness about the role and importance of Psychological factors and processes in the world of work.
3 ) To create a foundation for higher education and professional career in Industrial Psychology and Organizational Behavior.
Section I (40 marks)
Topic 1 Assessing individuals (Ch. 4)
a) Foundation of assessment
b) Traditional assessment procedures
c) Additional assessment methods
d) Special topics in assessment
Topic II Understanding Performance (Ch. 5)
a) A basic model of performance
b) Extensions of the basic performance model
c) Job analysis: Fundamental properties and practices
d) Job analysis: Newer developments
e) Job evaluation, Comparable worth and The Law
Topic III Performance Measurement (Ch. 6)
a) Basic concepts in performance measurement
b) Performance rating - Substance
c) Performance rating - Process
d) The social and legal context of performance evaluation
Topic IV- Training and Development (Ch. 8)
a) Foundation of training and learning
b) Content and methods of training
c) Evaluating training programs
d) Specialised training programs
Section II (40 marks)
Topic V- The Motivation to Work (Ch. 9)
a) An Introduction to Motivation
b) Motivational Theories - Classic approaches
c) Modern approaches to work motivation
d) Practical issues in motivation
Topic VI- Attitudes, Emotions and Work (Ch. 10)
a) Job satisfaction
b) Moods, Emotions, Attitudes and Behavior
c) Related topics
Topic VII- Leadership (Ch. 12)
a) The concept of leadership
b) Traditional theories of leadership
c) New approaches to leadership
d) Emerging topics and challenges in leadership research
Topic VIII- The Organization of Work Behavior (Ch. 14)
a) The conceptual and theoretical foundations of organizations
b) Some social dynamics of organization
c) Organizational development and change
Landy, F. J. & Conte J. M. (2004) - Work in the 21st Century (Int. ed.) McGraw Hill Co.
Note : Chap No. 1 - What is Industrial & Organizational Psychology? Will not have a question set on it. However it shoul be taught as an orientation to this paper.
BOOKS FOR REFERENCE:
l ) Aamodt. M.G.(2004) Applied Industrial an Organisational Psychology (4th ed.). Wadsworth/Thomson Learning.
2) Hellriegel, D. & Slocum, J. W. (2004). Organisation Behaviour. (10th ed.) South WesternlThomson Learning )
3) Luthans, F. (2005). Organisational Behaviour.10th ed McGraw-Hill.
4) Muchinsky, P.M. (2003). Psychology Applied to Work (7th ed.). WadsworthlThomson Learning
5) Nelson, D. L. & Quick, J. C. (2005). Understanding Organizational Behavior (2"d ed.). South Western/Thomson Learning
6) Newstrom, J. W. & Davis, K. (2002). Organizational Behavior : Human Behavior at work (11th ed.). Ta McGraw-Hill.
7) Sekaran. U. (2004). Organizational Behavior : Text and Cases. (2nd ed.) New Delhi : Tata McGraw-Hill
8) Sham, A. B. & Lau, J. B. (2005). Behavior in Organizations: An Experiential Approach. (8th ed.). - McGraw-Hill.